Jackfruit Pastilla Parcels
Pastilla is a North African pastry made with savoury fillings and dusted with icing sugar. With a bit of practice, they are simple to make and absolutely delightful.
- 2 Jackfruit Blocks
- 4 Sheets Filo Pastry
- 50g Melted Butter (We used vegan Flora)
- Tomato or Mango Chutney
- Pinch of Icing Sugar
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Nigella Seeds (You could also use poppy seeds or sesame seeds)
You can find filo pastry in the dairy section of most supermarkets. It's a great thing to keep in the freezer so you can make tarts and parcels. Icing sugar and cinnamon are traditionally sprinkled over pastilla. We definitely recommend trying this out as it brings a lovely sweetness to the dish.
- For this recipe, you want your Blocks to be defrosted and chilled. Either defrost in the fridge overnight or microwave them until just defrosted but not hot.
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Place your defrosted blocks in a sieve and shake vigorously over a bowl. You want to separate as much sauce as possible. Reserve the sauce and heat up as a dip.
- Gently brush some melted butter over the surface of a sheet of filo. You can use a pastry brush or your hands.
- Lay another sheet over the top and butter the surface. Repeat until all 4 sheets are stacked on top of each other.
- Using a knife, slice the sheets longways down the middle. This will give you two long sheets.
- Take half of your Jackfruit mix and arrange it in a triangle shape using the edges of the pastry as a guide for the right-angled sides.
- Fold the mix over it's long edge. Continue to fold in this way until you have a triangular parcel. Use some melted butter as glue to fix the final fold. Trim off any excess pastry.
- You can find some great videos online for making triangular filo parcels!
- Repeat this process to make your second parcel.
- Brush the top of your parcels with melted butter, and sprinkle over any seeds you want to use.
- Place the parcels on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until deeply golden.
- Let the parcels rest for 5 minutes, and dust with icing sugar and cinnamon. You can use a sieve or tea strainer to dust evenly.
- Serve with a dollop of chutney.
You'll need some...
translation missing: en.product.sale_price
translation missing: en.product.price
£0.00 per block